Starlight Mesa Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

Minutes

10-27-14, 7:30 p.m.

Levins’ House

Present – Karen Levin (KL), John Andraos (JA), Greg Goeckner (GG)

Not Present – Alex Benderskii (AB), Derrick Pan (DP)

Renovation Requests:

Muriel Horacek House Renovations:  Muriel Horacek reported that, after seeing the color previously approved to repaint her house, she had decided to switch to a cream color paint instead.  The Board unanimously approved the alternate color.

Kirk Gerbracht Fence Move Request:  GG reported that the draft letter from Hahn and Hahn sent to the Board by Kirk Gerbracht had been passed on to the Board’s counsel Kelly Richardson.  Mr. Richardson had sent a letter to Mr. Gerbracht’s lawyer.  No response had been received as of the date of the meeting.

Maintenance Report

KL asked for the Board’s approval to replace the light in the pool with an LED light at a cost of $650.  The Board unanimously approved the request.

KL reported that Jose Toribio planned to apply fertilizer to the lawns the following week, on Tuesday November 4th.  GG will advise the neighbors that they need to water their lawns.

JA suggested that the Board look into the feasibility of installing artificial turf on community front lawns, as a means to save water.  GG suggested that drought resistant planting might be more appropriate.  JA will get a bid for artificial turf. 

KL reported that she had asked Jose Toribio to clean out the culverts.

KL called the city permit office about the permits required for a new gazebo.  The required permits will depend on the size of the new gazebo.  She will look into hiring a structural engineer to draw up plans for a gazebo to replace the current structure.  JA suggested that an architect he knows could do the drawings for a gazebo and will provide his contact information to KL.

KL reported that she and Glenn Cunningham (GC) had attended the Fire Department’s lecture on brushfire clearance requirements held at LCPC.  The Mesa is in a risk area for brushfires.  GC will post materials from the program on the HOA website.  Brush clearance now must be 200’ from structures and might be more next year if the current drought continues.

Treasurer’s Report:

DP was unable to attend the meeting but sent the following written report: 

1) Operating cash balance as of 9/30/14 is ~$38.4k, less outstanding checks that have not been cleared, the projected net balance is ~$16.6.

2) October is expected to be a strong dues collection month - projected operating cash balance including estimated collections and expenses is ~$40k+.

3) Reserve balance is $45.6k.

4) Delinquency summary - other than the foreclosure action - no material or significant delinquencies.

Preparation for Annual Meeting/Confirm Meeting Date:

GG reported that he had corresponded with Peter Ryan at Cardinal about preparations for the annual meeting.  He has a list of materials to be circulated prior to the meeting.  Most of the items have not changed since last year.  The Board needs to approve a 2015 budget.  The annual meeting was confirmed for Sunday, December 7th from 2 to 4 p.m. at the community pool.

CC&R Project update:

GG reported that the Board needed to set a meeting to review the draft revised CC&Rs and draft Bylaws received from counsel.

Collection Action update:

GG provided an update from counsel on the status of this action.

Next meeting:

November 17, 2014, 7:30 p.m.

JA’s house