Starlight Mesa

Homeowners Association

Board Meeting

10-19-15, 7:30

SP House


Present – John Andraos (JA), Sylvia Paz (SP), Greg Goeckner (GG), Derrick Pan (DP)

Not present – Alex Benderskii (AB)

Also present – Jared Herzikoff-Cornell (JHC)




Renovation requests - Herzikoff–Cornell shutters:  JHC reviewed their plan to add black shutters on two upper windows on the front of their house.  There are many houses with black shutters in the neighborhood. The Board unanimously approved the request.


Pool project:  JA advised that the contractor he had spoken to was unable to come today due to an emergency


Lot 93 status:  SP reported that she had authorized Jose Toribio to start planting drought tolerant planting on this lot.  It should be done by the end of the month.  It will have temporary drip irrigation.  The Board approved $1200 for the installation of 100 plants and the drip irrigation.  GG reported that he and SP had a meeting with city and county officials about the grading of the trail on the lower part of Lot 93.  Our soils engineer advised us that the trail grading would increase the possibility of erosion into the lower lots on Rupert Lane.  The city and county had agreed to regrade the trail in accordance with his recommendations.  We believe that these steps will resolve the neighbors’ concerns.


Mesa entrance sign:  SP showed the Board pictures of alternative entry sign designs gathered by Tanya Paz.  She said that the pool project was a higher priority and should be completed first. JA liked the simpler designs.  He would like to see gates added to the neighborhood to keep trespassers out and to increase home values.  He estimated the cost of gates at ~$15k-20k. GG will find out what city approvals would be needed.  SP said that community input should be solicited on this idea.


Gazebo furniture:  DP advised that the budget only included about $1k for gazebo furniture.  The old furniture is still being used.  Board members examined several types of furniture.  SP expressed her concern that good furniture could be stolen.  The Board will continue to look at options for new furniture.           


Pool keys:  SP reported that the pool and tennis court keys had been changed.  The bent pool gate will be fixed later in the week.


Other maintenance work:  SP reported that the dead tree would be removed from the putting green area later in the week.  The Board approved $820 for this work.  She also had talked to Jose about the culvert behind Cardi Coate’s house; Jose did not think it was an erosion risk and that it would be expensive to fix.  Jose recommended leaving it as is.


Treasurer’s Report:


DP reported that he did not yet have new bank statements.  He reviewed his draft 2016 budget with the Board.  We have used up the 2014 surplus this year.  His budget assumes we will finish the CCR project next year.  His budget does not count on collecting the past due amounts owed by two homeowners; if made, those collections will result in a surplus in next year’s budget.  GG advised that the collection litigation against one homeowner was close to completion.  DP recommended that 2016 HOA dues be kept at the same level as 2015 dues.  We can maintain the current level of activity with those current dues.  If the Board takes on any major new projects, dues would have to be increased.  GG suggested that a special assessment, plus funds from the reserve account, might be needed to pay for the pool project.  DP noted that dues were last raised ~5 or 6 years ago.  The Board approved the recommendation to keep dues in 2016 at the same level as in 2015. DP will send the budget to Cardinal for circulation to the community.


Annual Meeting Plans:


GG reported that Brent Tweddle had agreed to run for the Board next year.  SP has talked to other potential candidates but no one had yet agreed to stand for election.


GG will look into alternate locations for the annual meeting in view of the potential for rain this year.


Next meeting:


November 23, 2015

7:30 p.m.

SP house